Play

As I listened to the Melbourne rain, the trams rumble by and my flatmates chatter in French and Italian, I looked back on the beginning of this blog. I used to be funny. I used to be candid. I used to be more me. And maybe I feel something has changed because I'm in a different physical place. Or maybe because every time I open Keep Warm and notice that I've lost a follower my heart gets a little crushed. I remember when I first started this blog I didn't really care and could barely hope that anyone would want to read it. It was a way for me to do something creative everyday: photos, writing, remembering. It was meant to help me keep up with my life and have something to look back on. Then I started to get followers and maybe with that change I started writing more for them (for you?) than for myself. I haven't been posting lately because I'm not wearing anything other than a work uniform. And I'm not doing anything other than working. And I was pretty sure that no one would want to read anything that I say. Maybe I could let go a bit and write what I want and live life with a bit more play in it.

This is where I work. Elvis and Marilyn are everywhere.
Via


Today a customer asked me who Marilyn Monroe was. Like if she was a dancer or a singer or what. And if she was still alive. I think he was serious. All I could really do was say "umm, an actress? an icon?" He then told me that even though Elvis was a bit taller than him it was ok because he had more muscles and he could do the dance moves. It wasn't really a conversation that I wanted to engage in. I backed away in search of another customer I could bring food to. Or anything really.

Comments

geetabix said…
Has anyone ever asked you that before? It sort of reminds me of that sad scene in the Salton Sea where the guy asks who John F. Kennedy was.
Melissa said…
I adore you. And I would read your blog just to hear what you had to say.

And...that has to be one of the weirdest conversations ever. WHY are people so odd?
Anonymous said…
I love your blog, I check it frequently. I am a big admirer of the journey you are on, and jealous too lol

And as a fellow Canadian, watch for your outfits as I know a lot of them are sourced from stores I shop

Keep your head up :)
Marnie said…
I'm a Melbournian and started reading your blog even before you got here. I now love reading about you exploring our beautiful city. And don't worry about fashion. Soon it will be cold, and you'll be rocking those winter outfits you are much more comfortable in.
Cara said…
There's always the bizarre in the world. There was a guy on the bus who yelled at no one for about 8 stops, because they had kicked him. Yelling at thin air, for kicking him. And when he realized he was causing a scene, he replied: "I had a bad day at work, and just needed to rant". Bizarre.
I want to hear you being you! Don't write for me... just let me read what you write!!

Popular Posts